Space has always challenged
humans to make what
seems impossible, possible.
Upham, New Mexico
Spaceport America is the world’s first purpose-built commercial spaceport and The Gateway to Space terminal hangar provides the operational base for commercial passenger and payload spaceflight. Located in the Jornada del Muerto desert basin, thirty miles southeast of Truth or Consequences, Spaceport America is capable of accommodating the activities of both vertical and horizontal takeoff space launch vehicles, serving as the base for pre-flight and post-flight activities, and providing a tourism experience for interested visitors and spectators. The terminal hangar facility is the result of a well-coordinated collaborative effort consisting of local and international firms with expertise in aeronautic facilities design. SMPC worked closely with Foster + Partners and URS Corporation to complete the iconic home for Virgin Galactic’s operations and spaceship fleet providing the journey into sub-orbital space.
- 2014 Jeff Harnar Award for Contemporary Architecture Award
- 2014 American Institute of Architects, Western Mountain Region Merit Award
- American Institute of Architects, Albuquerque Chapter, Merit Award
- American Institute of Architects, 2013 Design Awards Program, New Mexico Student Jury, UNM School of Architecture + Planning
- 2013 American Council of Engineering Companies, Engineering Excellence Award
- NAIOP Award of Excellence, Eagle Award, Industrial Category
foot diameter building
“The Terminal Hangar Facility has turned out better that anyone could have imagined. It is a beautiful building befitting of the beginning of a new era where all of us can now not only dream of going into space but actually have the opportunity to do so”
Christine Anderson, Executive Director, New Mexico Spaceport Authority.