Exceptional design lives
in the seamless integration
of function, form and community.
Nusenda Community Stadium
The Nusenda Community Stadium is designed to support an expanded Albuquerque Public Schools sports program with a spectator-friendly facility. The bowl-shaped stadium is recessed below grade placing spectators close to the action and protected from west winds. Oriented to offer spectacular views of the Sandia Mountains, the site design responds to respecting the volcanic mesa landscape, preserving open space, minimizing the impact of natural arroyos, and shielding the surrounding community from potential noise and night light. Native and xeric landscaping along the Stadium roadways strengthens the connection to the surrounding community.
Photography credit: mattophoto architectural photography
- 2013 Associated Builders and Contractors, Eagle Award
- Engineering New Record Magazine (ENR), Best of 2013 Southwest Region, Sports/Entertainment Facility
- 2013 NAIOP Awards of Excellence, Eagle Award, Civic/Public Building
- 40% of materials were manufactured or harvested from local region
- 30% of materials contain high recycled content
- 20% power is provided by photovoltaic panel canopy
- LEED Gold
Brad Winter, APS Chief Operations Officer