A unique reflection of the region’s diversity, the Albuquerque International Sunport began serving travelers in 1965 and expanded in 1985. After 35 years of traffic, the signature facility needed remodeling, refreshing, and updating to accommodate industry changes and address the wear of time.
Focusing on streamlining the process of departure and arrival, the SMPC team worked towards experience modernization, passenger wayfinding, and safe, efficient pedestrian patterns, while integrating updated HVAC and new LED lighting strategies. The newly enhanced passenger experience will improve the terminal’s uniquely New Mexico architecture and serve as an inviting gateway to the region.
New HVAC system, RGB and White LED lighting with dimming controls, power, and airline FIDS/BIDS data systems.
- New ceiling soffit beams, linear wood and patterned lay-in ceilings.
- New ticketing podiums incorporating free-standing kiosks customized for each airline while retaining a unified appearance.
- Custom banco and bench seating at the baggage level.
- Wayfinding signage in all public areas throughout the terminal, and architectural features to reinforce key circulation elements.
- Maintained all airport operations during construction with minimal disruptions.